HELP - WINDOW 7

 File in: Windows 7
change date and time.png
I recently ran into a problem on one of my Windows 7 machines where I could not change the date and time. Every time I clicked on the Change Date and Time dialog box shown below, I kept getting an error message. The message that kept popping up was: Unable to continue. You do not […]

Blue Screen of Death BSOD Restarts Too Fast in Windows 7

 by 
 File in: Windows 7

I recently got a blue screen of death (BSOD) error on a Windows 7 computer. However, upon restarting the computer and adjusting BIOS settings, the BSOD error would still display, but the computer was restarting so quickly that I didn't have time to analyze the specific BSOD error codes. In other words, the BSOD screen […]

System Restore Points Missing in Windows 7?

 by 
 File in: Windows 7
system protection .png
I recently ran into a problem where all my restore points in Windows 7 were disappearing. If I created a system restore point and then restarted the PC, the restore point would be gone! I could not figure out why this was happening, but after doing some research I managed to get the problem fixed. […]

Lost Windows 7 Install Disc? Create a New One From Scratch

 by 
 File in: Windows 7

If you've misplaced your Windows 7 install disc, which may be the actual discs that came with your PC or a retail Windows 7 install disc that you bought separately, then reinstalling Windows can be a bit frustrating. However, there is a very simple way to create your own Windows 7 install disc for Home […]

Create a Custom Windows 7 Install Image

 by 
 File in: Windows 7

Creating a customized Windows 7 image can be accomplished using a few different methods and Microsoft even supplies some tips for creating unique and custom Windows 7 deployments. However, many of these custom imaging methods revolve around straight enterprise structure, which may require several workstations, a master PC and Windows 7 Enterprise edition. For non-enterprise […]

Tips for Adding Printers in Windows 7

 by 
 File in: Windows 7

I recently ran into a driver problem when attempting to install a printer in Windows 7. The printer had previously been installed in Windows XP (on the same machine) and was working fine, but after upgrading to 7, Windows would detect the printer on the network, but not print! The printer was an older HP […]

Fix NT Kernel & System Process CPU Usage in Windows 7

 by 
 File in: Windows 7
image
I recently ran into a strange problem where a process called System (NT Kernel & System) was using about 15 to 30 percent of the CPU on my Windows 7 machine all the time. In the above screenshot, System is using 0 percent CPU, which is how it normally should be. The system process basically […]

Fix Windows Explorer Window Opening on Startup

 by 
 File in: Windows 7
explorer libraries.png
I recently ran into a really annoying problem on my Windows 7 64-bit PC: every time I restarted it and booted into Windows, the Windows Explorer Libraries window would pop up. It never occurred before and I could not pinpoint any particular software or update that I had installed that would cause it to start […]

Remove Dotted Border Around Icons on Windows Desktop

 by 
 File in: Windows 7

Have you ever noticed that sometimes Windows will give your desktop icons a dotted line border? It's really annoying and definitely doesn't look good with the neat and sleek Aero interface. Her'e what I mean: Grrrr! I'm one of those picky Windows users who likes things to be a certain way and I just hate […]

Use Netstat to See Listening Ports and PID in Windows

 by 
 File in: Windows 7

Being in IT for almost 8 years, I quickly learned that the netstat command in Windows can be of great benefit if you know how to use it! Even though I don't work in IT anymore, that command still comes in handy a lot of times. For instance, my Internet connection was running really slow […]

Windows 7

Fix "Windows Anytime Upgrade was not successful" Error

 by 
 File in: Windows 7

One of my clients ran into a problem when they were trying to upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium to Professional using the Windows Anytime Upgrade tool. Instead of it working like normal, they ended up getting the following message: Windows Anytime Upgrade was not successful The only sorry solution it gives you is to […]

Pin to Taskbar Missing in Windows 7?

 by 
 File in: Windows 7

So I ran into an interesting problem the other day when I tried to pin a program to the Windows 7 taskbar. Usually, I just right-click on the open application and say Pin this program to the taskbar: Unfortunately, something happened or I did something stupid and this open disappeared! So I tried to drag […]

How to Reinstall IE8 or IE 9 in Windows 7

 by 
 File in: Windows 7

Internet Explorer 9 recently was having some strange issues on my Windows 7 machine and instead of spending hours trying to figure out what was causing the problem, I decided I would just reinstall the whole thing! Well, it fixed my problem and that's why I'm writing about it. Method 1 – Windows Features Depending […]

Remove a Printer Driver from Windows 7

 by 
 File in: Windows 7

If you're like me, you probably install printers on your Windows 7 laptop whenever you need to print and you're not at home. This is fine, but I recently noticed I had 10 printers installed that I never use because they were one time printers installed while traveling. I also realized that just because you […]

Windows 7 Screensaver and Power Options Not Working?

 by 
 File in: Windows 7

I've had my share of problems with Windows 7, but I still use it regularly along with my MacBook Pro. One new problem that creeped up recently has to do with the screensaver and power options. I set my screensaver to start after 10 minutes, but nothing happened! I also set my PC to go […]

Fix Audio Static Crackling Popping with Realtek Sound Card

 by 
 File in: Windows 7

If you have a Windows 7 machine with a Realtek sound chipset or drivers, then you may have run into a problem where you randomly hear crackling or popping or static while playing audio through your speakers or even headsets. I realized after doing some research that this is a pretty tricky problem to fix […]

How to Combine Two Images/Pictures without Photoshop

 by 
 File in: Windows 7

Recently, I had a situation where I wanted to send someone a picture, but I wanted it to be a combination of two pictures. Sending the pictures separately would not have been fun, due to the fact that they had to be shown side by side to get the best effect. I also wanted to […]

Windows 7 Switch User Disabled or Greyed Out?

 by 
 File in: Windows 7

A client of mine recently had a strange problem in Windows 7 where he could not switch between users using the normal procedure. By default, if you click Start, then click on the little arrow next to shutdown, you can choose Switch User as shown below: If this option is disabled or greyed out on […]

Run Notepad as Administrator to Avoid Access is Denied

 by 
 File in: Windows 7

One really good and really annoying feature of Windows 7 is that by default a lot of files are off-limits when it comes to editing. For example, if you try to edit the HOSTS file in Windows using Notepad, it will give you an error message saying Access is Denied. And if you try to […]

Change the Windows 7 Login Screen Background Image

 by 
 File in: Windows 7
01Default_Login_Screen.jpg
When you login to your Windows 7 computer (assuming you haven't used something like this tutorial to turn on automatic login), you'll generally see a login window with a background looking something like this. It's fine; there's nothing wrong with it. But sometimes a change is good so in this article we'll show you how […]

What the Windows 7 Power Report Tells You About Your Computer

 by 
 File in: Windows 7
01Command_Prompt_in_Start_Menu.jpg
In Windows 7, there is a little-known feature available from the Command Prompt that will analyze your system, then tell you what power settings you have enabled that may not be providing you with the best battery life for your laptop. It won't help fix what's wrong, but can point you in the right direction. […]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.